The 15th century built artillery tower Kiek in de Kök together with the passages inside of the 17th century built Ingrian and Swedish bastions form an exciting part of historical fortifications of this city.
In addition to the permanent exhibition in the tower and passages, the tower is also hosting temporary exhibitions.
OPENING TIMES OF THE MUSEUM
March–Oct Tue–Sun 10.30–18.00. Last admission 17.30
Nov–Feb Tue–Sun 10.00–17.30. Last admission 17.00
The Museum is closed on Mondays and public holidays.
Sacred Scripture – from manuscript to mother-tongue Bible
The Protestant Reformation 500
Bible translation into native languages was started in Europe in the 15th and16th centuries. The printing revolution based on innovations by J. Gutenberg provided immense capacities to distribution of Bibles. As a result of the Reformation Bible was translated also into Estonian. Estonian-language Bible the constituted the foundation for formation of the Estonian literary language and native-language education as well as for development of our culture and creation of the sovereign state of Estonia.
The oldest Estonian-language sacred texts that have survived are prayers Pater Noster / Our Father and Ave Maria /Hail Mary together with Credo / the Creed originating from the Kullamaa manuscript (1524–1532) and fragments from the Pater Noster prayer, excerpts from the Creed and form the Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Eucharist in Wanradt-Koell Catechism (1535) and handwritten texts by J. A. Völker (1585–1590), where the Estonian-language part contains Pater Noster, Decalogue, Ave Maria, Credo, five church orders and the list of seven sacraments.
The exhibition consists of two parts: In Tallinn St. John Church first Estonian-language Bible texts are on display, in the Kiek in de Kök exhibition hall examples of Scriptures in various European languages are represented.
Support and help to the Estonian Bible Society in preparing the exhibition was provided by Cambridge University Library, British and Foreign Bible Societies, German Bible Society, Tallinn St. John’s Congregation, Tallinn City Archives and by Tallinn City Museum.
The exhibition opening will take place on March 2 at 11 a.m in Tallinn St. John’s Church and at 4 p.m in Kiek in de Kök.
The exhibition will be open until 23 April 2017.
All are welcome!