About the Museum
The museum on the ground floor of a neo-baroque building erected for the castellan of Kadriorg in the mid-19th century shows the last apartment of one of the best-known Estonian writers of the early 20th century – Eduard Vilde (1865-1933).
The writer lived in a light six-room flat together with his wife and mother-in-law in 1927-1933. The furniture made at the Tallinn Luther factory, the original interior doors and tiled stoves have survived. The balusters of the wooden staircase that date from the turn of the 19th and 20th century are also original.
E. Vilde Museum has been on the premises since 1946. The present-day display provides a survey of the writer’s life and work and gives a very good idea of the urban mode of life in the 1920s. The halls on the first floor are used for art, literary and cultural history exhibitions.