About the museum
The Photo Museum is located behind the Town Hall (at 4/6, Raekoja Street) in the former Town Council’s Prison.
The permanent exhibition on the two floors of both buildings offers a survey of the history of Estonian photography in 1840-1940.
The display begins with rarities like daguerreotypes, ambrotypes and ferrotypes. The visitor also gets an idea about the development of cameras and sees a studio and darkroom equipment from the early 20th century.
The display ends with the smallest of our cameras. It is the Minox that was invented in Tallinn and the first camera also made here in 1936 but it was finally produced in Riga in 1938.
The Photo Museum, a branch museum of the Tallinn City Museum, is an interesting combination of a rare building where once justice was administered and today one of the most available and widespread arts – photography is displayed.